Protecting and monetizing intellectual property (IP) assets in the cannabis industry is a critical step for many businesses. Enforcement of valuable IP rights against infringers may also be vital to a cannabis business’s success.
The cannabis industry is highly dynamic and competitive. In addition to state and local rules, the Schedule I status of “marihuana” under federal law creates an unusual environment for all things cannabis and IP.
Several cannabis businesses have established significant market share through the creation and leveraging of IP. Others have been served demand letters or lawsuits because their branding or products allegedly infringe upon existing protected IP– whether owned by cannabis businesses or otherwise. As a corporate cannabis law firm serving the cannabis industry since 2010, we have seen just about every possible scenario.
This webinar is designed to help you gain a high-level understanding of cannabis IP in both the hemp and marijuana context, including how to protect, monetize and enforce it.
Vince Sliwoski (Oregon) will moderate a discussion by cannabis intellectual property attorneys Fred Rocafort (Washington/Florida), Jihee Ahn (California/Oregon) and Paul Coble (Arizona/Illinois). These attorneys have a broad mix of transactional and litigation experience in the cannabis IP space, and will provide a detailed overview of what you need to know to protect your cannabis brand. The attorneys will cover topics such as the following:
- Categories of goods and services eligible for IP protection
- Federal IP protections available to cannabis businesses
- The importance of copyrights, trade secrets, patents, and trademarks to your cannabis business
- IP hurdles cannabis business owners frequently encounter
- IP licensing, both within state borders and across state lines
- How to avoid cannabis IP disputes, and what to do in the case of a dispute
Questions will be taken throughout the presentation. To register for this free webinar, as well as submit questions in advance, please go HERE.